Team Lead, LEED Certification
Recognizing excellence in green business industry performance
Team Lead, LEED Certification
Salary Range:$95,000.00 To 120,000.00 Annually
This position is performed remotely within the United States or India.
Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) is currently seeking a Team Lead to work with the LEED certification team. GBCI is the premier certification body responsible for global delivery and quality oversight of green building and green business sustainability standards. Its integrated team of green building specialists administers credentials and certifications for the U.S. Green Building Council (LEED), the International WELL Building Institute (WELL Building Standard), International Finance Corporation (EDGE), PEER, Sustainable SITES, TRUE Zero Waste, and IREE. The Certification Team Lead manages a group of up to 7 professional Certification Reviewers that conduct review and quality control services for LEED Certification.
- Actively manage and coach direct report’s to achieve individual performance goals and production and customer service metrics (e.g., quality, efficiency and timeliness)
- Work collaboratively with the LEED production management group to manage all work assignments and ensure a balanced and fully utilized team
- Manage LEED Certification team resources effectively to meet GBCI Certification business goals and objectives
- Collaboratively manage and report on direct reports by regularly critically assessing a direct reports performance and competencies, and providing appropriate direction, training and mentoring
- Work directly with GBCI Management to ensure technically rigorous, accurate, consistent and timely completion of certification activities
- Manage proactive customer engagement model and provide general and elevated technical customer support to project teams
- Perform managerial tasks related to staff management as necessary (e.g., timesheet and expense report approval, performance reviews, etc.)
- Perform in-depth technical review and analyses of building design, construction, and operations for compliance with LEED rating systems on time with high quality
- Lead new staff technical training efforts to meet set training targets and timelines
- Perform quality control (QC) and quality assurance (QA) review of work done by other GBCI LEED Certification Reviewers and sub contracted review teams
- Contribute to the continued development and increased technical knowledge of fellow LEED Certification Reviewers through collaborative teamwork
- Maintain currency of expertise by staying abreast of new and developing industry issues and trends.
- Assist in development, implementation, review, and refinement of certification programs, policies, initiatives, and plans
- Liaise with USGBC and other Standard developers and their associated technical committees
- Liaise with USGBC Education team, GBCI Credentialing team, and other internal and external groups as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Training Requirements/Preferences:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in a field of study related to one or more of the following specialties:
- Architecture (architecture, landscape architecture, interior design)
- Engineering (mechanical, civil, structural)
- Planning (urban/transportation/environmental planning, urban design)
- Construction Management (or associated discipline)
- Building Operations (facility management, property management)
- Environmental Science (ecology, biology, environmental management)
- Currently licensed professional in specialty area preferred. Other professional certifications as relevant to area of expertise.
- LEED AP required; with specialty preferred (BD+C, ID+C, O+M, ND, Homes)
- LEED Certification Reviewer certificate preferred (required after hire)
- Minimum of two years supervising staff or teams in highly challenging environment, or 5 years of USGBC/GBCI work experience.
- Minimum five years direct professional experience in area of specialty. Having expertise in more than one of the areas listed below strongly preferred.
- Experience with a variety of high-performance building projects, including LEED projects. Specialization in a high-performance building attribute such as energy efficiency, water efficiency, materials efficiency, indoor environmental quality, etc.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret building floor plans, sections, site plans, zoning maps, interior furniture and finish plans, construction specifications and operational policies.
- Detailed technical understanding of and experience with one or more of the following design and building topics: common construction methods, materials specification, fenestration, HVAC systems, plumbing systems, electrical systems, landscape design and management, master planning, land use, zoning, urban development.
- Detailed technical understanding of and experience with common environmental building codes and standards relevant to specialty, (e.g., ASHRAE 90.1, ASHRAE 62, ASHRAE 55, UPC/IPC 2006, Title 24, IECC, GreenGuard Certification, Green Seal, ANSI/SMACNA 008-2008, NPDES, NEPA, NFIP, ASTM E1903-07 Phase II ESA, NatureServe, HUD )
- Demonstrated success with process improvement
Other Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Passion and commitment to USGBC mission
- Excellent judgment, analytical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Energetic, detail-oriented and able to prioritize
- Experience serving in technical consultative role
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including technical writing
- Excellent ability to clearly explain advanced technical issues in manner that is easily understood
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong sense of personal responsibility and accountability for delivering high quality work
- Ability to work well both independently and on teams
- Willingness to self-initiate
- Strong computer skills, with high proficiency in MS Office suite, including Excel
- Support GBCI’s mission to become the premier organization independently recognizing excellence in green building performance and practice globally
- Encourage and accelerate global adoption of green building practices through various sustainability standards, tools and performance criteria
Metrics for Success:
- Meet team assignment and production goals
- Actively manage team to achieve individual and team production metrics
- Meet and exceed customer service satisfaction consistent with department goal
- Develop team’s expertise and competencies through training and mentoring
- Manage and supervise a team of up to 7 people.
Employees work for an established mission-based and member-driven nonprofit organization with a compelling vision, non-profit competitive compensation commensurate with experience and skill level, generous benefits package, 401k matching and comprehensive health insurance.
The headquarters office is a LEED Platinum commercial interior space in a LEED certified building in the LEED Platinum certified central business district in the first LEED Platinum certified city, Washington, DC. The office serves as an example and test space for green design and construction products and practices. It is close to public transportation and incorporates many healthy and environmentally friendly features.