Technical Development Specialist, Sustainable Sites & Water
We are the global leader in green building.
Salary Range: $70,000.00 To 90,000.00 Annually
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a Washington, DC based nonprofit organization dedicated to sustainable, high-performing buildings and communities that improve the quality of life for everyone. We are best known for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), the most widely used green building rating system in the world. For more than 25 years, USGBC has proven that LEED-certified buildings use less energy and water, avoid waste, save on maintenance costs, improve indoor air quality, and reduce carbon emissions. We work with policymakers, business leaders, and educators to transform the built environment and fight climate change, because we believe that every person deserves to live, work, learn, and play in places that reduce environmental impact and improve human health and wellbeing.
Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI) is the premier organization independently delivering, recognizing, and overseeing industry-leading green building and green business certification programs. Established in 2008 to drive the adoption of the LEED rating system, GBCI now administers project certifications and professional credentials and certificates for rating systems that cover nearly every facet of the sustainability industry. Our global team of green building specialists assures quality control and implementation of LEED, TRUE, SITES, PEER, EDGE, WELL, and ICP, which promote sustainability, health and wellness, and resilience in the built environment.
USGBC is currently seeking a Technical Development Specialist, Sustainable Sites & Water Efficiency to join our Technical Development Team. The Technical Development Team is responsible for executing the ongoing maintenance and evolutionary development of the rating systems managed by USGBC in a manner that hastens market transformation towards a more sustainable future. The body of work associated with this ongoing effort is achieved through collaborative engagement with internal and external subject matter experts, dedicated Technical Advisory & Working Groups, and various advisory committees. This team provides essential stewardship of the USGBC managed rating systems including the LEED rating system, ensuring that a position of market leadership is maintained, and the integrity of the consensus-based development process is preserved.
This position entails active involvement in the creation of a suite of rating systems including the LEED green building rating system, with a specific focus on sustainable sites and water stewardship. The work championed in this area will emphasize the vital relationships among buildings and ecosystems, delving into key aspects including biodiversity, site restoration, integration with local and regional ecosystems, and water stewardship encompassing both exterior water management and interior water conservation. In addition to contributing to the ongoing support of current rating systems, the role will play a pivotal part in shaping future developments. Considering the increased global focus and sense of urgency in areas related to sustainability, as well as significant advancements in related disciplines and technologies, we believe this is a an essential and very exciting opportunity to join the Technical Development Team.
- Be responsible for management of Technical Advisory Groups (TAG) for the Sustainable Sites & Water Efficiency credit categories including planning and execution of reoccurring meeting.
- Provide thought leadership and subject matter expertise for the development rating systems in key technical areas such as:
- Water Stewardship
- Water Quality
- Whole Building Water Accounting
- Sensitive Land Protection
- Biodiversity Preservation
- Nature Based Solutions
- Remain current on new and developing industry issues, trends, scientific research, technologies, regulatory requirements, and industry standards and publications etc.
- Facilitate technical conversations, conduct research, and build consensus on technical solutions that enhance the usability, implementation, and impact of the rating system worldwide.
- Cultivate an engagement with global external subject matter experts focused on the built environment.
- Work collaboratively with other credit category teams (e.g. Location & Transportation) to ensure maintenance of a balanced, cohesive, and cogent rating system.
- Facilitate sharing of information to ensure that the USGBC products are aligned.
- Aid in the creation of new programs, and optimization of existing programs, such as:
- Rating systems and associated support materials and tools
- Marketing materials, advocacy, and educational products
- Provide input for budget development and ongoing team management.
- Represent USGBC in public speaking engagements including preparation of technical content for speaker applications and presentations.
- Respond to occasional media inquiries and liaise with stakeholder groups.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Technical knowledge and at least 4 years of work experience in a relevant field.
- Technical understanding of and experience with sustainable sites and water stewardship topics including low-impact development methods, environmentally-sensitive site management and improvement strategies, habitat protection and restoration, rainwater management, heat island effect reduction, and light pollution control, water efficiency, alternative water sources.
- Experience working with relevant stakeholders in the commercial and industrial sectors such as clients, vendors, account reps, and cooperatives to develop energy efficiency projects.
- Basic understanding of building design and construction process and/or building operations.
- General understanding of high-performance green building/community design, construction, and operations.
- Commitment to USGBC’s mission.
- LEED Accredited Professional, or ability to obtain LEED AP credential within 12 months of hire.
- Excellent analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities.
- Strong organizational, project management, and time management skills.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience developing and maintaining voluntary standards.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong interpersonal relationships with a diverse array of individuals and constituents.
- Ability to distill complex technical information into succinct, clear language.
Employees work for an established mission-based and member-driven nonprofit organization with a compelling vision, nonprofit competitive compensation that includes 401k matching, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive health insurance, employer sponsored Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) and pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA), generous paid leave, in addition to a renewal leave of six weeks for employees celebrating monumental employment anniversary.
The headquarters office is a LEED Platinum commercial interior space in a LEED certified building in the LEED Platinum certified central business district in the first LEED Platinum certified city, Washington, DC. The office serves as an example for green design and construction products and practices. It is close to public transportation and incorporates many healthy and environmentally friendly features, including an on-site gym, rooftop lounge and healthy snacks for staff.