Associate Director, U.S. Market Transformation & Development (Florida)
Transforming buildings and communities through LEED.
The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a Washington, DC based nonprofit organization dedicated to sustainable, high-performing buildings and communities that improve the quality of life for everyone. We are best known for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), the most widely used green building rating system in the world. For more than 25 years, USGBC has proven that LEED-certified buildings use less energy and water, avoid waste, save on maintenance costs, improve indoor air quality, and reduce carbon emissions. We work with policymakers, business leaders, and educators to transform the built environment and highlight the critical role green buildings play in fighting the climate crisis, because we know that climate change is the greatest challenge of our time. With support from our global network of volunteers and member organizations, USGBC works every day to achieve a sustainable, healthy, equitable, and resilient future for all.
The Associate Director, U.S. Market Transformation & Development works to ensure a vision that supports growth, development, and inspiration of the USGBC community, facilitates meaningful and effective market engagement, and deliver best-in-class education and partnership opportunities toward meaningful market transformation. This position supports growth in market development opportunities, while maintaining relationships with existing partners, members, sponsors, volunteers, and allied organizations. Associate Director engages USGBC’s current stakeholder base around core programs and cultivates business opportunities for LEED with new clients in target sectors. Working with the Regional Director and other USGBC senior management, the Associate Director participates in the development of the USGBC local community work plan.
This position is directly responsible for and leads the USGBC community programming and market development in Florida. The Associate Director works closely with the larger South regional team to support additional activities and USGBC Communities in the region as assigned.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE
- Draft and implement workplan aligned with U.S. Market Transformation & Development team’s strategic market/product, sector, and regional growth plans.
- Responsibility for annual profitable budget, inclusive of revenue strategy and implementation and expense management. Revenue portfolio includes, but is not limited to sponsorship, membership, event registration, grants, etc.
- Successful achievement of non-financial performance goals and oversight of programs for membership, partnership, LEED project registration, and other engagement metrics.
- Collaborate with the volunteer leadership and serve as co-chair/staff lead of Market Leadership Advisory Board.
- Deliver engagement activities with local and regional staff and volunteers that aligns with USGBC’s business/strategic plan. Ensure consistent high quality of programming.
- Manage organizational and individual membership program in local community. Serve as account owner for key organizational members assigned from within community territory.
- Manage relationships with USGBC members and clients in the market, and support their engagement with USGBC and LEED.
- Keep current on market trends to identify and develop robust programs and business models that establish USGBC as a leading voice and innovator in our market, while attracting new members and supporters to the organization’s work.
- Lead on at least one market sector focused campaign to grow engagement in USGBC membership and use of LEED.
- Measure and communicate to USGBC and the volunteers, members and partners on the success, financial viability, and market impact of program efforts.
- Build upon and grow the strong individual and corporate partnerships that already exist, and be the primary focal point with donors, sponsors, and other stakeholders.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org your resume and a letter of interest.
- The subject line of the email must include Last name, First name, Position (such as Jones, Sam, Associate Director, U.S. Market Transformation & Development, Florida)
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
- Any attachments must be titled Last name, First name, document (such as, Jones_ Sam_Resume)
- No phone calls, please.
- Regular travel within Florida to support work plan.
- Occasional South Atlantic & South Central regions.
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIREMENTS/PREFERENCES
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s is preferred.
- LEED Green Associate designation, LEED AP with specialty preferred.
- 7+ years of proven not-for-profit management and/or business experience, preferably from a related community such as real estate, AE+C, or sustainability.
- Preferred familiarity with the LEED rating system or green building practices.
- Experience managing projects, staff, and volunteers.
OTHER REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Driver’s License, ability, and willingness to drive throughout the specified territory (listed above).
- Willingness to travel occasionally outside the territory.
- Ability to be creative and visionary, yet also be a pragmatic, hands-on business leader and manager who can build the organization’s resources and brand to achieve those larger ambitions.
- Experience fundraising via multiple channels (sponsorships, grants, membership, advocacy, program development, etc.) Established resources and connections helpful.
- Experience creating and implementing revenue generation programs is highly desirable.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Natural relationship builder with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and disciplines, including both corporate and community partners.
- Excellent organizational manager with the ability to coach staff, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Commitment to USGBC mission.
- Strong attention to detail and follow through.
- Interpersonal skills, team player.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, including some evening and weekends.
Employees work for an established mission-based and member-driven nonprofit organization with a compelling vision, non-profit competitive compensation commensurate with experience and skill level, generous benefits package, 401(k) matching and comprehensive health insurance.
The headquarters office is a LEED Platinum commercial interior space in a LEED certified building in the LEED Platinum certified central business district in the first LEED Platinum certified city, Washington, DC. The office serves as an example for green design and construction products and practices. It is close to public transportation and incorporates many healthy and environmentally friendly features.