Life at PE:
Perkins Eastman, where employees are encouraged continuously to engage, to learn, and to contribute in a vibrant and supportive office culture, is in search of a Project Architect III with strong leadership, analytical and problem-solving skills and a passion for high-quality design and a collaborative process.
Perkins Eastman’s DC office is part of our international design firm with 24 studios in North America and 4 international offices. Our integrated practice has a roster of architects, interior designers, planners, urban designers, graphic designers, constructions specification writers, construction economists, environmental analysts, sustainability and resiliency experts, traffic and transportation engineers, and several other professional disciplines. We are a workforce of almost 1,100 employees working in interdisciplinary studios.
Our ethos is HUMAN BY DESIGN; a commitment to place-making that responds to people; our clients and the people who will experience our buildings and places. We value intellectual curiosity, an eagerness to engage with others and the willingness to contribute to a healthy, vital workplace culture.
This position will provide an opportunity to work with integrated design teams primarily on high-performance K-12, projects of various sizes and complexity, with special expertise in exterior detailing to ensure energy performance requirements are blended with aesthetic priorities. The individual selected must possess the ability to react positively to a variety of design priorities, styles and project delivery methods. Our approach is client-focused, and our employees thrive in a collaborative, responsive environment.
- Work in project teams to develop the aesthetic and technical design of the projects, and prepare architectural design and construction documents including drawings and specifications.
- Support the construction administration efforts on those projects, as it pertains to the exterior envelope.
- Collaborate with the Principal in Charge and Project Manager.
- Work on multiple projects simultaneously in different stages of design and construction.
- Demonstrate leadership in developing construction documents with minimum supervision.
- Develop, check, and coordinate technical aspects of the design of projects, including compliance with
- Building and Life Safety codes, zoning regulations, and energy performance criteria.
- Coordinate with consulting engineer’s documents and specifications.
- Meet with client and maintain excellent rapport.
- Follow and focus on established standards for project production and review.
- Keep Project Manager and Principal in Charge informed of progress or the need for assistance.
- Supervise and mentor assigned staff.
- Bachelor or Master’s (preferred) degree in Architecture (BArch/March) is required.
- Architecture license required.
- LEED, EDAC or WELL accreditation required.
- Minimum of 12+ years of practice and 5 years of Project Architect experience leading a team.
- Experience as a Project Architect on multiple simultaneous projects is preferred.
- Substantial Construction Administration experience (submittal review, RFI response, ASI production and consultant coordination) is required.
- Experience making decisions on the construction site.
- Renovation experience is a plus.
- Experience in Primary and Secondary Education is required, with Multi-family, or Senior Living project experience a plus.
- Strong communication, graphic, organizational, technical, and written skills required
- Demonstrated experience in and readiness to lead the technical exterior details of projects.
- Proficient with Revit and Sketchup.
- Proficient with other software applications such as Bluebeam, PowerPoint, Word and Excel.
- Proficient with construction management software such as Prolog and Newforma.
- Architects with construction company and construction management employment experience may apply.
Perkins Eastman is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer and a participant in the U.S. Federal E-Verify program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.