Perkins Eastman is a global architecture and design firm guided by the belief that design can have a positive and lasting impact on people’s lives. With more than 1,100 employees in 24 locations around the world, we collaborate seamlessly across borders, barriers, and disciplines to connect people and ideas. Whether conceiving of new healthcare models, reviving a local landmark as a boutique hotel, or helping communities become more resilient, we are united in a dedication to progressive and inventive design that enhances the human experience. If everything is designed, everything we do is HUMAN BY DESIGN.
The Interior Architectural Designer has the ability and responsibility to conceptualize the project in coordination with the Senior Interior Designer, helps set the initial design direction for the project, and works in collaboration with Principal in Charge and makes critical aesthetic decisions throughout the project while integrating input from client and operator. The Interior Designer is responsible for accuracy in information prepared to ensure the success of the project.
What You Will Do:
- Responsible for leading, collaborating and reviewing the design narrative and design graphics for concept presentation materials.
- The development of interior specification manuals in English that will be used for execution and production of detailed designs.
- Leads and/or works in tandem with Interior Designer and Project Architect to space plan and design the interior architectural envelope.
- Has a strong ability to sketch to convey design ideas to clients and furniture fabricators.
- Reviews and understands with professional proficiency detailed construction documents including floor plans, elevations and sections, electrical details, finish schedules, furniture floor plans, furniture fixtures and equipment FF&E specifications, finish boards, materials and finishes to determine compliance in quality, design, and codes. Leads team to complete such documents.
- Oversees completion of FF&E design & documentation based on project criteria, budget, program, and standards.
- Responsible for internal presentation of project design materials to V.P in charge and/ or leadership review.
- Oversees FF&E specification throughout process, review and approve FF&E purchase orders (if necessary) and maintain budgets for all phases of the project interiors.
- Designer is responsible for full review of FF&E specifications before they are issued to client or operator.
- Leads quality control reviews for projects to confirm documents are meeting ForrestPerkins, client, and operator’s standards.
- In coordination with Project Architect, the Interior Architectural Designer is responsible for review of project documents and accuracy prior to issuance to AOR, Client and/ or operator.
- Understand the components of construction drawings and specifications from AOR and other consultants and has ability to review such documentation and ensure that elements are coordinated within ForrestPerkins documents, as necessary. Closely coordinate with consultants and provide documentation to them, as necessary, to alert them to coordination elements they need to resolve/ document.
- Coordinates with design team in reviewing furniture installation plans and shop drawings for content and accuracy and ensures that they are fully coordinated with all pertinent consultant drawings.
- Prime interface with the client, operator, and consultants about design issues, leads presentations and the like. Responsible for communicating with owner, consultants, and operator in a timely manner.
- Responsible for communicating in a complete and timely manner, all client comments or directives and ensure that they are reflected in the design and documentation.
- Communicates directly with the Principal In Charge regard to client directives and major design issues and prompts/ leads internal design reviews during the design process, prior to presentation to the client.
- Attends and/or directs on-site meetings with owner, consultants, and contractor inclusive of construction review and FF&E installation, as necessary.
- Prepares accurate timelines, task lists, and project schedules.
- Identify additional service opportunities and present them to the project manager.
- Help establish staffing and project plan needs and coordinate with the project manager.
- Maintains relationships with existing clients and nurtures with potential clients.
- Participates in monthly project Financial Reviews and is responsible to company for financial status of the project.
- Has a thorough understanding of hotel brands in the 4-5-star range.
- Has mastered a working knowledge of brand standards and proven ability to execute them.
- Bachelor’s degree – from a 4-year CIDA accredited Interior Design program or equivalent.
- Strong reading, writing Speaking in editing skills in English required.
- Minimum of 8 years of master planning experience, hotels, casinos, resorts.
- NCIDQ certification
- LEED accredited or must complete this within 18 months of employment
- MS Office Proficient
- Photoshop Proficient
- Auto CAD- Proficiency Preferred.
- Revit- Proficiency Preferred and/ or basic knowledge.
- Excellent hand sketching abilities
- Illustrator- Basic Knowledge
- Sketch Up- Basic Knowledge
- Experience in writing FF&E specifications, FF&E matrices, and budgeting
- Possesses knowledge of building codes and the ADA
- Review and understand with basic proficiency detailed construction documents including floor plans, elevations and sections, electrical details, finish schedules, furniture floor plans, FF&E specifications, finish boards, materials and finishes to determine compliance in quality and design work with team to complete such documentation and assist in coordination with other consultant’s documents.
- Strong presentation skills
- Space planning & hand sketching
- Ability to work with Architect and have a thorough understanding of architectural interior design.
- Must have the ability to take design from sketches into schematic design for a handoff to a team to develop a buildable set of drawings.
- Travel may be required to the US.
- Looking for someone, interested in making a 4–5-year commitment to this role as requires a great deal of learning.
We are looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented professional who possesses a passion for interior design and architecture. If you have a strong creative vision and possess the necessary technical skills, we invite you to apply for this exciting opportunity as an Interior Architectural Designer. Please submit your application, resume, portfolio and provide at least three references within the profession.