Design Manager – Sciences
Shaping the future of cities by enhancing the human experience.
At Gensler, we design for people. We leverage our global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. We are not just designers. We are tinkerers, craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, our people bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. Whether you are into sketching new ideas, hacking a building or growing client relationships in global markets, there’s something here for everyone. We strive to make the everyday places people occupy more inspiring, more resilient and more impactful.
As a Gensler Design Manager, you will leverage your experience in hospitality, workplace and lab interiors, your attention to detail and interpersonal skills to deliver exceptional client projects on time and on budget. Grow your project management experience while working on trendsetting projects across industries.
What You Will Do
- Manage all phases of corporate interiors projects, including project set-up, design and construction administration
- Create and communicate clear and attainable project objectives and project requirements
- Manage project scheduling, budgets, and set-up with sub-contractors, vendors and consultants
- Manage a range of project team sizes, comprised of project architects, interior designers, job captains and graphic designers
- Track financial performance of project
- Prepare project proposals, negotiate contracts and fees, coordinate bidding process
- Ensure projects conform to contract
- Be primary point of contact for client communications.
- Provide team leadership for deliverables, manage deadlines, and ensure positive team dynamics.
- Lead or support responses for RFPs and RFQs with marketing team.
- Provide big picture project thinking, while able to dive into details.
- Develop and/or maintain client relationships for new business.
- When required, attend industry events, for visibility in the market.
- Attend and contribute to internal Gensler marketing and strategic meetings focused on client relationships and marketing.
- Provide positive mentorship to junior and intermediate staff.
- Work with principals and studio directors on strategic briefs, meetings, presentations.
- 10-15 years of related experience, including demonstrated success as a project manager on a range of corporate interiors project types
- Experience with the entire project lifecycle, through post-occupancy
- Experience leading, managing and mentoring multiple project teams
- Experience negotiating project scope and fees
- Knowledge of building codes, standards and building structures
- Proven fiscal accountability and responsibility on projects
- Strong leadership, organization, communication and relationship management skills
- Revit skills are highly valued
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainability and sustainable building practices strongly valued.
- Must have the ability to maintain existing client relationships and build new client relationships
- Professional degree in Architecture or Interior Design required
- AIA, NCIDQ or CID preferred
- Experience managing core-and-shell or ground-up architectural projects is a plus
- Demonstrated commitment to sustainability and sustainable building practices required. Portfolios should include at least 1 project with this particular focus, and candidates should be prepared to talk to this in their interview, especially built projects with LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standard , Fitwel and /or Net Zero Building certification
- As a firm, we value our collaborative culture and are in the office five days a week.
To be considered for this opportunity, you must UPLOAD A SAMPLE DESIGN PORTFOLIO to the attachments sections of your application.
**The base salary will be estimated between $135k – $165k plus bonuses and benefits and contingent on relevant experience.
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions and hackathons, to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our teams’ diverse interests.
We encourage our employees to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership and twice annual bonus opportunities. Our annual base salary range has been established based on local markets.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.