As an Urban Designer you will contribute and develop strong, creative and innovative design and planning concepts supporting a breadth of project activities that include programming and analysis, conceptual design, preliminary design, final design, and production of final deliverables and reports. You will work closely with Design Director and design team to develop master plan, urban planning, and landscaping strategies for various project types.
What You Will Do
- Successful candidates will be focused on master planning projects within the Greater China region and international collaborations, while also gaining exposure to a wide range of design experiences within our full portfolio of integrated disciplines: architecture, interiors, graphic/brand design and consulting.
- Lead and ensure proper execution of masterplan and urban design projects
- Manage and engage key internal and external stakeholders effectively to drive project process, resolve issues, achieve excellence in project deliverables and overall objectives
- Collaborate with the Urban Design team to develop and advance conceptual and schematic designs on urban design and master planning projects
- Prepare graphic/narrative reports and presentations that communicate the design process, research, and concepts
- Assist in managing client expectations, team communication and consultant coordination
- Enhance and optimize designs using rapid and iterative simulation techniques
- Act as a team member in coordinating and reviewing of work product
- Contribute to office activities, initiative and learning programs
- Interact through projects and other office wide initiatives with other studios and practice areas
- Masters Degree in Urban Planning/Urban Design/Architecture
- At least 8-10 years or more work experience in urban planning or urban design practices with proven background in creative collaboration with multi-disciplinary teams, from concept through later stages
- Those with LEED qualification will be preferred
- Knowledge and passion for working on a variety of urban design & master planning projects across multiple sectors
- Working knowledge of planning laws, policies, and regulatory tools
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task
- Strong attention to detail
- GIS Mapping & database skills are preferred
- Creative initiator who brings curiosity, enthusiasm and a “can do” attitude
- Desire to develop strong leadership, management, and mentoring skills
Your Design Technology Qualifications
- Knowledge and experience in Autodesk Revit for design authoring, documentation, data extracts and project delivery.
- Good working knowledge and experience in Rhinoceros for design authoring.
- Basic understanding and familiarity with interoperability workflows between various design tools such as, AutoCad, Revit, Rhino, etc
- Good knowledge and experience with real-time rendering processes, and material creation & management within the context of integrated BIM and parametric workflows.
- Basic understanding of the setting up of new models.
- Basic understanding of the principles of multi-model collaboration.
- Basic understanding and familiarity with Computational Design applications such as Grasshopper and/or Dynamo.
- Basic understanding and familiarity with simulation principles and processes, including interpretation, and application of results.
- Basic understanding and familiarity with the use of VR walkthroughs and panoramas.
- Good knowledge and experience with interoperability workflows between Rhino & Revit throughout all the stages of a project.
Applications we work with
- Design Authoring – Revit, Rhino, Autocad, Navisworks
- Collaboration – BIM360
- Computational Design – Grasshopper, Dynamo
- Building Performance Simulation – Insight, Sefaira, Diva, Ladybug tools
- Visualisation – Vray, Enscape, Twinmotion, 3DSMax
- Graphics & Productivity – Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite
- Experiential – Unreal Engine, Unity
- Development – C#, Python
Life at Gensler
At Gensler, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Wellbeing Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a profit sharing plan and twice annual bonus opportunities.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.