Architect – Mid Level
Shaping the future of cities by enhancing the human experience.
At Gensler, we design for people. We leverage our global perspective and local presence to innovate at every scale. We’re not just designers. We’re tinkerers, craftspeople, visionaries, innovators and thought leaders. Fueled by passion and entrepreneurial spirit, our people bring new ideas to solve challenging problems. Whether you’re into sketching new ideas, hacking a building or growing client relationships in global markets, there’s something here for everyone. Our depth of expertise spans disciplines—from aviation and transportation to education, hospitality, retail, technology and more. At our core we embody an entrepreneurial spirit, always looking ahead for new ways to innovate and add to our clients’ success. We share the belief that design has the power to transform organizations and change lives; whether we’re refreshing a retailer’s brand, planning a new urban district or designing a super tall building. Our work reflects an enduring commitment to sustainability, and we believe that a diversity of voices and cultures is one of the most powerful strategic tools for securing lasting competitive advantage. As the world’s largest design firm, Gensler has a unique obligation and opportunity to focus on sustainability in the built environment. We deepened our commitment to combat the impact on climate change in the built environment when we launched Gensler Cities Climate Challenge (GC3) in 2019. This is our pledge to meet an ambitious goal: the elimination of all greenhouse gases from our work by 2030.
We are currently seeking a creative, detail-oriented Architect to collaborate with the entire Detroit studio team to develop design solutions and coordinate that design through all phases of a project. Leverage your industry expertise, design abilities, and technical acumen to drive projects from concept through construction.? You are a seasoned Architect and recognized contributor to high-profile, design driven projects. Our team is highly creative, collaborative, and dedicated to innovative problem solving and design excellence. Your work ethic, combined with your commitment to collaboration and mentoring, makes Gensler the perfect place to nurture your career.
What You Will Do
- Provide design and documentation for a range of project types
- Lead periodic project meetings and presentations; ensure client is adequately briefed on project progress
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of clients’ program requirements and standards and policies for completion. Communicate between the project team, clients, contractors and consultants
- Assist in the design development, modification and/or review of project concepts and solutions, prioritizing sustainable design
- Assist in establishing overall project budgets and milestone schedules in coordination with project managers, architects, and project engineers
- Communicate planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports
- Ensure all work is carried out to the requirements of the client, with the design team working to the correct specifications and delivering a high quality and timely product to the client
- Anticipate and develop innovative solutions to technical and design problems following established standards
- Participate in all project phases, with a primary focus on design development, construction documents and construction administration
- Collaborate with design team, clients, consultants, contractors, fabricators, regulatory agencies and other vendors to meet overall project objectives
- Actively lead smaller projects or co-lead a team on larger projects for successful delivery
- Lead more junior members of staff: motivate and ensure quality of work; ensure clear communication; understand the skills of the team and wider resources within the office
- Support project sustainability targets throughout project phases and actively engage in delivering them. Coordinate sustainability targets with project consultants and engineers
- Implement sustainable design strategies in every project stage and investigate solutions to sustainable design challenges
- Work collaboratively with the team to optimize sustainability performance through design iterations and research
- Lead climate focused analysis and studies for each project
- Involvement in office, regional and sector business development initiatives
- Contribute to office activities, initiatives, and learning programs
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture; Master’s degree preferred
- Architectual licensure required (US)
- Extensive portfolio of work, preferably across various practice areas
- 5-10 years of project experience in an architectural practice with experience in several practice areas
- Demonstrable experience in large projects with complex stakeholders
- Proven performance in directing the delivery and construction process across all phases
- Proven sensibility to the design process and ability to interpret and develop creative and technically proficient solutions to design challenges
- Strong leadership, organizational, communication and relationship management skills
- Well-rounded, strategic-thinker with an integrated approach to design, management, and technical project resolution who can help shape a vision for the future
- Strong working knowledge of building codes, standards and accessibility requirements
- Flexibility to focus on concurrent projects in various stages of development
- A quick learner with an ability to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Effective communicator, collaborative and team-conscious
- Demonstrated passion for design thinking
- Knowledge in sustainable design principles required
- LEED, WELL, Fitwel, or other rating systems accreditation preferable
- Previous experience in sustainable design projects preferable. Especially built projects with LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standard, Fitwel and /or Net Zero Building certification
- Demonstrate a collaborative and integrated approach towards achieving high sustainability project goals
- Advanced knowledge of design software including Revit; Rhino; Illustrator; InDesign; Photoshop
*To be considered, please submit portfolio and/or work samples in PDF format*
Life at Gensler
Gensler is committed to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Through our Five Strategies to Fight Racism, we continue to create a just and equitable future for our colleagues and our communities with our clients. We are a solid voice for social change as we impact people’s lives and fight racism. At Gensler, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive workplace environment.
As a people-first organization, we are as committed to enjoying life as we are to delivering best-in-class design. From curated art exhibits to internal design competitions to “Well-being Week,” our offices reflect our people’s diverse interests.
We encourage every person at Gensler to lead a healthy and balanced life. Our comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, vision, disability, wellness programs, flex spending, paid holidays, and paid time off. We also offer a 401k, profit sharing, employee stock ownership, and twice annual bonus opportunities. Our annual base salary range has been established based on local markets.
As part of the firm’s commitment to licensure and professional development, Gensler offers reimbursement for certain professional licenses and associated renewals and exam fees. In addition, we reimburse tuition for certain eligible programs or classes. We view our professional development programs as strategic investments in our future.