Tom Liebel is a FAIA, LEED Fellow is the Vice President of Moseley Architects, where Tom has been involved in integrating sustainable design principles into a variety of ground-breaking adaptive use and historic preservation projects over the past twenty years, with these projects recognized with multiple awards for design, smart growth, sustainable design and historic preservation.
Tom is involved in ongoing research exploring the relationship between sustainability, preservation and urban design, with a particular emphasis in the use of urban adaptive use projects to promote neighborhood revitalization and civic engagement.
Tom served two terms as Chair of the Maryland Green Building Council, served on the Maryland Advisory Council for Historic Preservation, Chairs Baltimore City’s Commission on Historical and Architectural Preservation, and served as a Mid-Atlantic Regional Representative on the American Institute of Architect’s Strategic Council, serving as the 2020 Moderator.
- Historic Preservation/Adaptive Use
- Sustainable and Resilient Design
- Affordable Housing
- Innovation/Visioning/Implementation Strategies
- The technical rigor of the sciences and blending of creativity in the industry.
- Green architecture particularly focuses on sustainable preservation, affordable housing, and how to build sustainable communities.
- Blending adaptive reuse with historic typology to drive sustainable building.
- Moseley Architects ability to understand the unique challenges that sustainable building presents and ways to innovate.
- Rediscover low energy approaches towards design by tapping into the past.
- Tom breaks down understanding resilience into three buckets, natural, technical, and social.
- Interact with the best and brightest in the profession by involvement with trade organizations like AIA.
- The first approach is thoughtful designing down to the minimum load using basic principles orientation, lighting, natural ventilation, and bolting on modest technology to solve a modest energy demand.
Show Resource and Information
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2023 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended