Walt Kanzler is a recognized leader in the green building industry, currently holding the position of Senior Director of Design at UCSD. Walt has over 20 years of experience as a licensed architect with a focus throughout his career on Sustainability.
Working for several large public and private organizations Walt has delivered over $2 Billion in capital projects and currently is managing a capital program that exceeds that more than doubling his experience in diverse project types. Walt has served in a leadership role on several boards and committees that promote Sustainable Design and has been a proponent of LEED since gaining his LEED AP in 2001. Walt was awarded the high honor of LEED Fellow in 2022.
Currently an active change agent at UCSD Walt is directly involved in Sustainability initiatives on campus and supports cross campus coordination in the UC system along with his colleagues at nine other campuses. One of his passions is sharing Green Building concepts with students and finding ways to integrate Sustainability into Higher Education.
- The intersection between the capital projects and facilities management.
- University of California’s (UCSD) direct path to making holistics improvements to best practices that break down barriers facing the green building movement.
a. Structural Design Programs
b. Campus Decarbonization
c. Climate Action Plans
d. Minimum Certification Targets
e. Sustainable Practices Policy
f. Green Building Working Groups
- The evolution ESG needs to make for system integrity of the data.
- Building controls to newer buildings that allow occupants to really appreciate their space.
- Process improvements to streamline work challenging the status quo to make projects more efficient.
- Practices and opportunities to reduce our impact on the environment.
Show Resource and Information
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2022 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended