Pia Öhrling is an experienced sustainability Consultant. She has worked in the building and property industry for more than 30 years and with Sustainability for 20 years.
Pia is one of Sweden’s leading environmental and expert consultants with more than twenty years of experience in environmental certification and sustainable buildings. She is a trained structural engineer at KTH, Stockholm and has worked for the major environmental consulting companies in Sweden. In 2010, she started Piacon to be able to influence the construction and real estate industry to a greater extent based on her genuine environmental commitment.
Pia has completed a number of successful environmental certifications, e.g. the world’s first certified building according to BREEAM In Use International and Sweden’s first pre-certified LEED building. She is a popular lecturer and holds courses in LEED, BREEAM, Environmental Construction and Work Environment and leads training courses at the Sweden Green Building Council (LEED and BREEAM).
Pia is a member of the Sweden Green Building Council (SGBC) and is part of the LEED committee. Between the years 2014-2021, she was active in the Technical Council for BREEAM SE. In the autumn of 2022, Pia was appointed a LEED Fellow – a prestigious title which means that you represent the top tier in the design, technology and development of green buildings. She is currently the only representative of LEED Fellow in the Nordics.
Pia is a committed and competent manager who is passionate about sustainability issues. She likes to farm, create habitats for bumblebees and wild bees, and cook and renovate things.
- Pia shares how to navigate all the certifications systems available in Sweden (LEED, BREEAM, Miljöbyggnad, etc…) to each client project.
- The challenges with credits and systems like LEED in different areas and parts of the world to consider.
- Adapting to the taxonomy, the European Green Deal, and the World Green Building Council when creating and managing projects.
- Pia’s shift towards engineering and becoming an environmental engineering specialist and entrepreneur will motivate “who better than you to do it.”
- The evolution ALL certification systems need to raise the bar to look at the bigger picture for sustainability and biodiversity.
- Pia’s company specializes in sustainability and pushes clients towards really wanting to make positive change, not just certify their projects.
- She shares how to say “no” when clients just want to certify on the lowest level.
Get the episode transcript here!!
Show Resource and Information
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
Green Building Educational Services
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2022 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended