Gary Gene Olp was one of the handpicked students admitted to the University of Cincinnati known for Michael Graves and other prestigious architects. He received a chapter AIA award for his first professional project, a new clubhouse for a century-old revered country club in Ohio. Gary has been designing residential projects since the mid-1980s expressing his contemporary architecture in organic shapes, smooth surfaces, and accentuated by the warm tones and textures of the steel struts, beams, and elements allowed to oxidize. His homes are sited to capture the southeasterly breezes and soft east and north light and to shield the harsh west sun.
- Learning how to use a hammer (and its symbolism) and scavenging for materials.
- Co-op program at the University of Cincinnati.
- The story of building his first house.
- The story of three all-nighters and a better design that resonates with a structure.
- Passive Solar vs PV Solar power.
- The first LEED Platinum certification in Texas.
- Designing for zero ecological footprint.
- The importance of preparing from the eyes of the builder.
“You can’t build with bricks until you understand the brick.”
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2020 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended