Dr. Marilyn Black is vice president and senior technical advisor for Underwriters Laboratories, leading its research group Chemical Insights. She is the founder and former chairperson for both UL Air Quality Sciences and the GREENGUARD Environmental Institute. She is also the founder of the Khaos Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the health and well-being of children through education and research. Dr. Black is an active participant in national and international scientific organizational initiatives, research projects and community outreach programs, and has presented and published over 200 papers on indoor air quality and environmental exposure.
She received a Ph.D from the Georgia Institute of Technology, M.S. from the University of Florida and B.S from University of Virginia.
- THE pioneer on healthy material, indoor air quality and understanding the impact environmental pollution has on people’s health.
- Programs and certifications to manage and ensure use of healthy materials for healthy buildings for people.
- One of the most toxic chemical agents identified and the dramatic impact on human health.
- Emerging technologies to manage unintentional consequences of toxins put into products as a byproduct of the manufacturing.
- Active research on emerging topics, developing data, and developing knowledge to help solve pollution, exposure opportunities, and develop approaches for reducing human health risk in current product trends.
- GreenGuard Certification Program understanding what was impacting the air quality negatively.
- The need to combate tremendous amounts of waste among these materials.
- Integrated systems with the ability to monitor aspects of people’s responses while they’re in buildings for the best outcome.
- Improving the product formulations for safer products and replacements for those chemicals and products.
“How you use the information you learn in research and discovery is how to make a change. That’s how to make a difference. Research for the sake of research, does not move the needle. You have to learn; you have to do something with your information to move that needle and to cause change.”
Marilyn Black’s Show Resource and Information
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2021 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended