Being one of nine principals leading the design firm of Goody Clancy in Boston, MA, Jean is passionate about the opportunities inherent in the stewardship and creative reuse of existing buildings to shape a healthy, resilient world. Goody Clancy is an architecture, planning and preservation firm serving educational, governmental, and private sector clients and communities nationwide. We collaborate with clients to design and plan buildings, campuses and communities that express their aspirations, inspire creativity and collaboration, and build social, economic and environmental value.
My professional focus on existing buildings includes leading a team that helps clients and the public connect historic legacies to current realities and future possibilities. We combine a deep respect for and knowledge of history and building technology with a talent for transforming places-redefining their relevance, utility, and flexibility while sustaining and enhancing essential beauty and value.
- Boston architecture is endlessly interesting with a succession of unique work.
- The East is filled with a wonderful repository of existing buildings that are valued for their heritage.
- The landmark project that shaped Jean’s career for over 20 years.
- “The building that put American architecture on the map” and launched The Richardson Romanesque Movement.
- The first GeoExchange System.
- Specializing in preservation is critical to the green building movement.
- Essential to focus on both Embodied Energy and Embodied water.
- Buildings are the biggest objects that must be reused.
- Two year payback that will bring down carbon emissions and meet the goals of the Paris Agreement.
- Jean is seeking case studies from listeners who have done embodied carbon calculations against operational carbonet.
“Remember that building reuse is the most powerful climate action that there is. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Let’s reuse our largest objects, and those are our buildings! Let’s reuse them with grace, talent, and joy.”
Jean Carroon’s Show Resource and Information
- Sustainable Preservation: Greening Existing
- Trinity Church Boston
- The Good Earth
- Barack Obama: Books
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
Green Building Educational Services
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2021 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended