Lois’ 32-year career as a practicing architect has focused on sustainability as intrinsic to design aided by the application of green technologies and sustainable planning. First joining Wight in 1995, Lois has led Wight’s efforts to embed sustainability in all facets of this innovative design-led, design build firm as its Chief Sustainability Officer. Recently, Lois has led the effort to design several buildings to meet the criteria for Net Zero Energy. Her work continues to raise the bar for high performance, healthy buildings for the work designed and built by her firm. She has been adjunct faculty at Northwestern
University since 2005. She has educated, volunteered and lent her
energies to promulgate an understanding that creating places where
people thrive demands deeply sustainable solutions for the built
- From Renaissance woman to LEED Fellow, Lois shares key tips and advice for green projects.
- Questions to consider to gear up for green building and deliver true sustainable building attributes.
- Find “fertile soil” professionally and personally.
- The hallmark of Wight & Company, a regional powerhouse.
- Positive partnerships between the design team, the construction team, and the real estate team.
- Evolution of energy efficiency goals for LEED projects.
- Necessary feedback loop to see a building through to occupancy.
- Everything the industry needs to do for the next ten years.
- The first project in the state of Illinois, that is verified as a net zero building.
“We set practice paradigms. We provide education, always looking at the horizon saying, ‘Is our practice on point? Are we focused in the right direction?’ Every day of my career is a new day. What we do is evolve, learn, and grow. I am proud of the fact that I have a sense of creativity and curiosity that has been able to find ‘fertile soil’ [in green buildings].”
-Lois Vitt Sale
Lois Vitt Sale’s Show Resource and Information
Don’t forget to catch more episodes and resources for all of your green building news at the Green Building Matters website.
Connect with Charlie Cichetti and GBES:
Green Building Educational Services
GBES is excited our membership community is growing. Consider joining our membership community as members are given access to some of the guests on the podcasts that you can ask project questions. If you are preparing for an exam, there will be more insurances that you will pass your next exam, you will be given cliff notes if you are a member, and so much more. Go to gbes.com/join to learn more about the 4 different levels of access to this one-of-a-kind career-advancing green building community!
If you truly enjoyed the show, don’t forget to leave a positive rating and review on iTunes. We have prepared more episodes for the upcoming weeks, so come by again next week! Thank you for tuning in to the Green Building Matters Podcast!
Copyright © 2021 GBES
Books Our Podcast Guests Have Recommended